Friday 21 August 2015

Anxiety sucks.

0

Hi guys.

 I thought i'd do a little blog on anxiety and the repercussions of it. I've watched a bunch of my friends have several panic/anxiety attacks in my life. However. I've only really understood what they were when I started getting them myself


I've never been a nervous person. Actually, overall I would say I'm quite self-confident person but being put into such a terrifying position of moving away from home and put into a small flat where im expected to make friends with the people im living with clearly changed that.  Just to clarify, for the large part this wasn't an awful thing, im just not very good at making new friends so to be forced into doing such was just like throwing me into the deep end as such.
The reason i'm writing about this is because last night, I was very close to having a panic attack. 
Against my better judgement, I decided to go and see a friend quite late at night. As if that wasnt enough to be nervous, I had to walk to his. He lives at least half an hour away from me for a normal sized person. At one point, I got lost which ended up in me being a stressed mess by the time I reached his. 

For the rest of the night, I genuinely couldnt relax and I dont know why. He said to me "Can you just relax? You being like this is making me feel uneasy and uncomfortable" Sounds like a bit of a douchebag thing to say doesnt it? He was completely unaware to what situation I was in but him saying that made me feel like utter cack , just because me being stressy was making someone I care about feel uncomfortable about being in my presence. After around about an hour of this happening, said person did manage to calm me down, by talking about Spanish people and beer of all things.

A lot of people link anxiety/panic attacks with not being able to breathe or rocking back and forth in a corner, but its so much more than that. I saw this post on tumblr a few weeks a go, and it gave me quite a lot to think about.

There are several things about people that know nothing about anxiety tend to do, and which admittedly, I used to do to people that really bug me out.


DONT:

  • Tell the person to calm down; he or she doesnt have that control at that specific point
  • Please dont get frustrated with that person, it'll probably make things worse.
  • It' takes a long time for someone to get over whatever theyre stressed about for the large part; please dont expect a massive turnaround over night
DOS:

  • If that person needs you to sit with them, its not always necessary for you to talk. Just be there. They'll talk if they want to
  • Let them know you're there to talk if they need to.
  • Get them whatever they need. I once sat up with a drunk friend until 5am because they were having a panic attack. I made her a cup of tea, and sat there.

I hope thats helped some people.
Just to clarify that are so many sites that can help if someone you know, or you yourself is suffering with anxiety.


TTYL,
Kirst x



0 comments:

Post a Comment